Monday, July 18, 2011

TMI

Warning: do not read if the concept of nursing freaks you out!
So, Ezra is coming up on 3 weeks now and I'm on 3 weeks of pumping....pumping every meal because he can't "latch on". I've been really adamant about giving him milk instead of formula because I believe in all the benefits, but it has been EXHAUSTING! Going through the regular routine -all night of waking up to feed him, change him, & get him back to sleep is enough, but having to pump once he is down- and clean bottles and flanges is kinda pushing it- don't you think? Never-the-less I have persevered...with minimal melt-downs. ;) BUT I don't always have enough milk for him (that boy can eat!) So, we've had to supplement with formula some of the time. This really bothered me- to the point where I've cried over it...multiple times. (Blame all those pregnancy hormones!)
Anyway, yesterday Bobby & I were talking about whether or not we should make using formula as a supplement into a regular habit for when we are "out & about" so that I don't have to feel trapped if I don't have enough pre-pumped. I was thinking about it while getting ready and I was totally flustered when, suddenly, I thought of a twitter account that cracks me up (& puts things back into perspective) called #firstworldpains. It's all things we complain about (as if they were real problems) because we live in a first world country.
For example:
"My laptop feels too warm on my knees when I use it in bed..."
"I drank all the soda and now the only thing in my house to drink is water"
"I just got toothpaste on my clean clothes"
"I can't go out in public without makeup on"
"I had to make 2 trips to my car to get all of my groceries out"
"One time I had to pay for a small fry at McDonalds with all pennies"
"The person ahead of me in line at subway ordered for five people"
"I finished all my popcorn before the movie even started"
"Twitter is over capacity"
"there is a fly in my room"
"A bird pooped on my car"
"there's a 30 miute wait for a table at my favorite restaurant"
"this weather is really ruining my weekend plans"
"the refridgerator is full but theres nothing to eat"
"that guy just took my parking spot"
"I look terrible in these pictures I'm tagged in"
"I will never have enough money"
"this orange juice has pulp in it"
"I only get 3 bars of cell service in my apartment"
"getting 10 hours of sleep & still being tired"
"When you like a status on facebook, then getting a notification everytime someone else likes or comments on it."

**I'm on a roll**

"starbucks mispelled my name on my coffee"
"still finding sand in my car 2 weeks after going to the beach"
"I asked for no pickles"
"A closet full of clothes, nothing to wear"
"I spent all morning straightening my hair, & now it's raining"
"It's way too hot out"
"My stainless steel appliances get smudged to easily"
"I can't decide where I want to eat for dinner"
"I'm dissatisfied with the square footage of my adequate and affordable housing"
"I left my phone at home"
"My conditioner always runs out before my shampoo"
"My stomache hurts because I ate too much"


...I read this article in the New York Times the other day about the drought going on in Somalia. These Somalis are fleeing to Kenya as refugees in order to survive; and the path to get there is lined with the bodies of those who didn't make it. There was a quote at the begining of the article that really hit me. "By the time they get here, many can barely stand or talk or swallow. Some mothers have even shown up with the bodies of shriveled babies strapped to their backs."

...so....I'm upset about giving my son formula!? I'm sure that any one of those mother's would give their right arm to have the option of giving their starving babies formula when they couldn't give them milk! I'm sure they would've given anything to keep their babies alive.
After reading that, I realized that "I'm having a hard time with pumping so I have to give my baby formula" is TOTALLY a #firstworldpain !!!
So, I'm not going to complain about all of the options there are for feeding Ezra because I don't want to be "that guy". I want to live a life of gratitude for all that God's given us and where He has put us!


What about you? Are you complaining about things that would be considered a first world pain? Let's make a commitment to be more THANKFUL for what we have. What do ya say?! :)



I hope you're all having a MaRvElOuS MoNdAy!!!

1 comment:

  1. I like it. So true. Excellent perspective! I'll try to remember that the next time I have to feed Sarai 2 non organic meals in one day.

    ReplyDelete